22 September 2011

Orientation is over. Therefore I can’t get lost anymore?

I survived the first week of classes!  And I’ve only managed to change my course schedule three times.  That may be a record.  However, this can get pretty tricky when I have to take 5 of the 20-ish classes offered (5 of which are grammar and I can only take one of these).  There are limited options on limited topics, which don’t seem to line up with my nearly unlimited interests.  The drop/add period ended, so I sure hope my newest schedule is a little more suitable.

The rundown:

Grammar class: Mandatory; Monday through Thursday, 9am.  It’s a good thing I sort of like grammar (no joke).  After the placement tests last week I was really unsure of where I’d fall in the mix.  But to my surprise (and boy was I surprised…), I found myself in level five (out of five).  Confusing?  Yes, very.  Want to know why it was extra confusing to me?  The professor who teaches level five was my same professor from orientation classes.  For what feels like the first time in my life, I’ve encountered a teacher with whom I can’t seem to get along.  Long story short, she asked for my travel plans and I told her where I wanted to go and why (Canary Islands – to listen to the silbo gomero, a language all of whistling), and she disliked my reasoning and argued with me that it was a bad choice.  Yeah, okay no big deal.  She argues with everyone, but she caught me at a bad time to pick a fight and I haven’t been pleased with her since then.  When I learned I was in her class, it was bittersweet.  I’ve decided to take this as the challenge that it is.  I will win her over and attempt a good grade at the same time.  And go to the Canary Islands.

Spain and the European Union: I had high hopes.  They were crushed when all we did was talk about econ theories that I would struggle to grasp in English and then reverted back to microeconomics topics.  Didn’t hold my interest….

Contemporary Spanish and Latin American Women Writers: During the first class I was pretty excited about this one and thought it could lead to good discussion and interesting reads.  By the second class, I was convinced otherwise.  Dropped that class too.

Legal and Political Structure of Modern Spain: Semi-interesting so far.  The professor seems cool and excited to teach us something/anything.  I’ll stay in this class.

El Greco, Velázquez, and Goya in the Prado Museum:  Yes, in the Prado museum.  Twice a week I have class in a famous art museum in Madrid.  Even if this class were horrible, which it isn’t, I’d stay in it just for the experience.  Good thing it’s kind of cool so far.  The professor is really passionate about the art and the details and teaching us.  And, as a neat little coincidence, he is my host mom’s younger brother.  Crazy.  Perhaps we will chitchat about art or something over some tapas with the family.  Or not…just a thought.

That leaves me with two more classes that I need.  So I picked up Almodóvar and his Contemporaries: The Image of Women in Spanish Film and Cultural Myths and Spanish Literature.  So far I haven’t been to the film one but I’ve heard good reviews.  The professor is so entertaining; I don’t know where to begin.  He is energetic, dramatic, very young, etc.  I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to sit through the 1.5 hours without laughing at least a dozen times.

What else have I done besides gone to class this week?  There are many adventures, but a few include textbook shopping that lead to the discovery of the most wonderful book store ever, making friends with a baker at a bakery around the corner from me (where I intend to become a regular), enjoying the royal botanical gardens, and finding a cool neighborhood with international cuisine and vintage clothing.

The bookstore: You’ll be seduced by the perfect lighting, soothing music, and smell of new books within seconds of walking through the door.  It’s heavenly

The bakery: Conveniently located near the bookstore; the baker is a sweet woman who explained the difference between many indulgences for me (and gave me a little discount!).  She was patient and kind and my new favorite pastry seller…

The botanical gardens: well…beautiful.  I can’t even imagine them in the spring.  I only took 150 pictures.







The neighborhood:  American bakery, French crepes, Italian everything on one corner.  Two small plazas, plenty of shopping, cobblestone streets.  I approve.

Quaint.

American bakery storefront. 

They sold "classic American treats" like cupcakes, brownies, peanut butter, marshmallows, Dr. Pepper, Betty Crocker mixes, etc.

OJO!  This was a Hanes ad originally.  I used it in a project for a COMM class last fall.  Scroll to the bottom to see it.


I had one of these bad boys.  Yummy.

Lucky Charms!!!!  I was so close to buying them.  Then I saw they cost 12 euros.

All in all, the start of classes wasn’t terrible.  It marked the end orientation when I basically had no responsibility, but I’ve missed productivity a smidgen as well.  You’ve read enough for now!  At least about this stuff.. hasta luego!

PS – Orientation may be over, but I still get lost from time to time.

PPS - I know it's really early in the game for this, but I've been having food cravings for things (such as the Lucky Charms pictured above) that are damn near impossible to find here.  If you'd like to send me a package of tasty treats that the Spaniards are lacking, I'll gladly accept your donations (and provide you with my address).  : )